Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson

Summary: An aging pastor writes the book to his son as the pastor prepares to die. He muses on theology, his position as pastor, and his relationships with his father, grandfather (both pastors too), and wife.

Musings: I picked up this book because it was a Pulitzer Prize winner even though the topic itself didn't interest me. I should have known better. I'm sure for people who like these kinds of things this was a very deep and profound book. John Ames, the pastor, writes in a simplistic and thoughtful tone as he considers many events in his life. He covers his past experiences pieces at a time and frequently ponders his actions and his family's actions. Very little happens, and the little tension that is created through learning about his father and grandfather's relationships and his friend's son Jack Boughton don't add up to much.

In sum, it's a book with too much thinking. I started skimming about halfway through and stopped reading altogether about two-thirds of the way through. I suppose it's not right to write a review without finishing the book; oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment