Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Top Ten Books That Made Me Cry

 

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week's list is Top Ten Books That Made Me Cry.

I just saw this going around, and it piqued my interest.  I'm a few days late, but I still wanted to post.  Funnily enough, I hate sad books and avoid them at all costs.  This applies doubly to books with animal deaths.  If an animal dies, I will not read it.  Also, I've noticed how many of these are kids' (elementary age) books.  What are we doing to our young people?!

1) The Knife of Never Letting Go
If you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about.  I'm still angry with Ness about this one.  I was blubbering so badly I had to stop reading for awhile.

2) Stone Fox
I can't even talk about it.  Don't ever read it.  I just cried talking about it.

3) Where the Red Fern Grows
Notice a theme?

4) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I'm in Mexico on the first day of my honeymoon, sitting on a lounge chair by the pool, sobbing because Dobby died.  

5) All Lurlene McDaniel books
I used to eat these up as a kid.  Basic plot: teenager is in hospital because he/she has cancer.  Then, he/she finds love of his/her life.  He/she dies.

6) The Amber Spyglass
Although I thought the last book in the trilogy was a bit odd, I was still left crying with the pair at the end.

7) Island of the Blue Dolphins
One of my favorite childhood books, and the relationship between the girl and her wolf dog totally got to me.

8) The Outsiders
I should definitely reread this since I know how great it is, but it's too sad.  Can't do it.

9) The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
I really felt for Oscar by the end.

10) Bridge to Terabithia
I won't even watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment