Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019: Year in Review

It's been a full year since I've posted, but I did read more this year than last, so I'll still consider that success.

Books read in 2019:

1. The Obelisk Gate by N.K. Jemisin (Jan)
2. This Will Only Hurt a Little by Busy Phillips (Feb)
3. You Think It, I Say It by Curtis Sittenfeld (Feb)
4. The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin (Mar)
5. Severance by Ling Ma (Mar)
6. My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh (Apr)
7. Educated by Tara Westover (May)
8. 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (May)
9. The Genius Plague by David Walton (June)
10. Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
11. The Mothers by Brit Bennett
12. The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (July)
13. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (Aug; a reread)
14. I Like to Watch by Emily Nussbaum (Aug; in truth, I read about half)
15. Dear Life by Alice Munro (Oct)
16. Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (Oct; a reread)
17. Inland by Tea Obrecht (Nov)
18. You Know You Want This by Kristen Roupenian (Nov)
19. No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July (Dec; all but the last story or two)
20. The Road by Cormac McCarthy (Dec, a reread)

Highlights:
- Jemisin's fantasy series never disappoint.
- Krakauer's account of the Everest disaster was absolutely riveting.
- Loved Sittenfeld's short stories--I've never felt so recognized in literature.

Other thoughts:
- Many of these, again, were book club picks. Some highs (Moshfegh, Westover) and lows (Phillips) there.
- Several short story collections, though that wasn't intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment