Sunday, December 9, 2012

"Thank You, Jeeves" by P.G. Wodehouse

Thank You, Jeeves marks my third entree into the Wooster/Jeeves series, and though it is probably my least favorite of the three, it does have some great Bertram/Jeeves moments.

It's not necessary to summarize the plot, though the novel does begin with Jeeves leaving Bertram's employment upon Bertram's refusal to stop playing the banjolele. Despite his resignation, Jeeves is still present through most of the story, offering the same calm and sage advice as in the other novels. The slapstick isn't quite as laugh-out-loud funny as the previous two books, and the highjinks of Brinkley, Bertram's new valet, are really too outlandish. Add to that that the second half of the book involves two characters in blackface (which I couldn't help but read at least somewhat offensively, even given allowances for the time period)... and I just didn't enjoy myself as much as on previous Wodehouse expeditions.

Nonetheless, the end of the novel, with the reunion of Jeeves and Bertram, was quite touching, and perhaps is my favorite Wodehouse ending thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment