Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: Year in Review

And, so, my fourth year of blogging comes to an end. 2012 was a busy year for me: a move from Pennsylvania to Ohio and a change in jobs. My reading suffered a bit because of the craziness and general busyness (later nights at work; working out four times a week). And, for whatever reason, I've been in a big reading slump for the latter part of the year. Nothing's getting me excited. In fact, when I first sat down and started listing books for my top ten, I could only come up with seven. So here's hoping 2013 will be a better reading year!

My top 10 books read in 2012:
1. The Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson (fiction)
2. Quiet by Susan Cain (nonfiction)
3. Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (sci-fi)
4. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller (fiction)
5. Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick (nonfiction)
6. In Cold Blood by Truman Capote (classic nonfiction)
7. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller (classic fiction)
8. After the Apocalypse by Maureen McHugh (sci-fi short stories)
9. Among Others by Jo Walton (sci-fi)
10. Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (fiction)

Total books read and reviewed: 64
As I expected, my reading is down; I read 64 books this year, contrasted with 85 books last year and 109 in 2010. I'm at a little over one a week, which still isn't bad, so I'm not especially dispirited by the numbers.

Fiction read: 46
Nonfiction read: 18
My nonfiction stayed pretty constant with last year; 28% of my reading was nonfiction (compared with 25% last year).

Adult read: 57
Young adult read: 7
As has been the trend over the years, my YA reading continues to decrease (it made up 11% of my reading this year compared with 18% of my reading in 2012). I expect the numbers will stay about the same in 2013.

Female authors: 30
Male authors: 34
This is something I worked hard at this year, and even though having to prep for a new curriculum (and thus reading white men ALL SUMMER) made keeping parity difficult, I still managed to stay fairly equal.

Years published:
- 2012: 25
- 2011: 13
- 2000-2010: 21
- 1990-1999: 3
- 1900-1989: 12
- 1800-1899: 3
No surprises here!

Book sources:
- Total borrowed: 54
- Total purchased: 0
- Total for review: 1 (from NetGalley)
- Total otherwise acquired: 1 (as a gift)
- Total already owned: 8 (these are books I've had for over five years)
Didn't even have to buy one book this year, despite moving to a city with a much slower library system than Philadelphia. I'm coping.

Happy new year and best wishes for 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment