Thursday, December 7, 2023

Essay #11: New Leaves

Both my monstera and my fiddle leaf fig at home have new leaves. It seems like it should be too late in the year for new leaves to emerge, particularly on these plants, which don't push out new leaves often (this is only the seventh leaf on the monstera!). I worry that they've been fooled into thinking it's spring by the unseasonably warm patches of weather. Still, I won't deny the excitement of seeing the light green growth unfurl.

The monstera leaves emerge out of a previous stalk, first as a tightly-wrapped point. Over several days, the "wrap" gently loosens and the shape of the leaf begins reveal itself. The monstera is fenestrated, so there's large holes in the new leaf, which will be about the size of both my hands. The new leaf is about half-unwrapped at this point. I have to resist the urge to hurry its unfurling along.

The new fiddle leaf fig leaf grows out of the top, usually opposite the last leaf to emerge. It begins as just a tiny, light green half moon, then gradually grows up while getting wider. When it reaches full-size, it'll be far darker in color and match the size of my hand, but right now it's only a couple inches tall. Already it has deep, reddish-brown veins all along its back. 

I'm proud of both of these leaves; their indifference to the fact that it's December. I want to be like them--stretching out toward the sun, regardless of the shortening days and the lowering temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment