Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Essay #31: Butterfly Clips

To those who have asked, Amelia has said that her favorite Christmas gift is her butterfly clips: four large, plastic clips that cost thirteen dollars at Target (I’m not bitter). I remember such clips from my own childhood, but they’ve made a huge comeback—the Target accessory section must have had several dozen different versions. The clips come in two parts, each with a series of narrow “teeth,” and are connected with a spring. A wearer can twist her hair into a ponytail, pull the ponytail up alongside the back of her head, and then close the clip over the pulled-up hair. It’s a cute and easy look.

On Christmas day, Amelia had me re-attach her clip several times, both loving the “teen” look and worrying that it wouldn’t look just right. She wore one of the clips as we drove to my parents’ house yesterday and was eager to show it off to the family. Last night, after some ooh-ing and aah-ing, Aunt Kathleen brought out a butterfly clip of her own, and we took turns trying the clips out on everyone. Amelia put up Kathleen’s hair; I put up Clara’s hair; Clara put up Emily’s hair; and so on. We even tried on Caitlin’s far-too-short hair. Everyone was giggling on the basement couch.

Amelia wore one of the clips again today, and she also wore the cheapest gift that I got her for Christmas, as it came from my local Buy Nothing Group. It’s a grey sweatshirt that reads “S’mores, Campfires, & Lattes.” I thought it was absurd—why make a sweatshirt about lattes in a kid’s size? I wasn’t sure what Amelia would think, but I think it’s grown to be one of her other favorite gifts. Like her butterfly clips, it’s a piece to show off, to start a conversation. 

I never did “girl” culture. I didn’t wear makeup or think about fashion or put any thought into my shoes. In fact, I prided myself on what I perceived as my lack of vanity. Yet during my sister’s bachelorette party, when all her friends gathered in the bathroom for several hours to “get ready,” I realized for the first time that I’d missed out on something meaningful. I wonder if that’s why I find Amelia’s interest in fashion more endearing than eye-rolling. Before we left for my parents’, we sat down together and watched several TikToks looking for new uses for the butterfly clip. I love complimenting her when she’s thought carefully about how to put together an outfit. It’s something simple and fun that we can share.

No comments:

Post a Comment