Saturday, December 23, 2023

Essay #27: Grocery Store

We got back from my mother-in-law's mid-afternoon today. We'll be leaving again on the 26th to visit my parents, but we have the next two and a half days at home and no food. So what does that mean? Family grocery trip.

During the pandemic, we switched to doing pick-up grocery orders, and a little over a year ago we switched to Kroger delivery. We never seemed able to make time to grocery shop anyway, and I hated the crowds. Now, I stop by only occasionally to grab a missing item.

Jeremy or I could have gone alone without the kids, but since we'll be doing Christmas Eve and Christmas here at our home for the first time, it seemed appropriate to let them get involved. I braced myself for chaos, but Kroger wasn't nearly as bad as I might have feared for a Saturday two days before Christmas. They were completely out of non-green bell peppers, but Amelia managed to find two orange ones hidden atop the bin. They were out of cream cheese too, but I pulled out a shipping box and ripped out a block. No green beans, so we subbed broccoli. We will have to settle for grating our own mozzarella--no more shredded to be found. We ran into Clara's Girl Scout troop leader. We doubled back for hamburger buns and chopped pecans. We decided my dad definitely needed a local brewery's IPA with fir tips added. We bought expensive nuts and fancy cheeses for a Christmas day charcuterie board.

All the hunting and discovery made it feel a little like an adventure. The girls were in great moods. Amelia pushed the cart with Clara hanging off the side and didn't even run into anyone. Now, our pantry and refrigerator are full, and Jeremy's cooking dinner in the kitchen with our haul. It might just feel more satisfying than a delivery person knocking on the door. 

No comments:

Post a Comment