Monday, December 18, 2023

Essay #22: Snow

There's plenty of Ohio jokes in the fact that yesterday I wrote about "unseasonably warm days," and today I'm writing about snow. The first snow of the season! It began mid-morning and continued, off and on, throughout the day, heavy enough during the beginning of 7th period that everything looked blurry, and I suggested the students hold off on driving home if it continued. 

In general, I don't like snow. It makes hiking difficult, and it's warm enough in Cincinnati that most snow quickly turns to dirty slush. I greeted the snowfall out my classroom window with a resigned sigh.

The girls are already off school for Winter Break, and they each had a playdate scheduled. While I sighed at the snow, I received a text from the father of one of Clara's friends. He'd sent a video of Clara and her friend on their driveway, dancing and giggling as the snow fell in thick flakes around them. He included a photo of Clara too, a smear of ketchup from lunch still on her cheek. Her eyes are closed, her mouth is wide open, and her tongue is all the way out, just waiting for the snowflake to land.

I still don't love snow. But I love that Clara loved it. 

It's in the 30's today, but the ground is still warm, so little of the snow stuck. By now, as I write from home, all that remains is a dusting on our deck furniture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment