Monday, December 4, 2023

Essay #8: Overalls

Amelia and Clara have two pairs of matching overalls, identical except for the size. Jeremy's mother, Marian, bought them for Amelia a year or two ago at my suggestion, and she purchased two sizes since Amelia's so petite that bottoms often don't fit well.

Now that Amelia's a little older, she can fit in the larger pair, and so we passed along the smaller ones to Clara right before Thanksgiving.

Overalls inspiration hit, and both girls wore them for three days straight over Thanksgiving break. The first two days, Clara put Amelia's mustard-yellow sweatshirt on top, and we told her she looked like a teenager.

I was never moved much by adorable kids' clothes. I don't buy frilly dresses or absurdly fancy shoes. No boutique all-cotton rompers with woodland creatures. I never purchase the girls matching outfits. We still get most of their clothes that aren't hand-me-downs from the used children's clothing store.

But, man, do I love the overalls.

Is it their folksy charm? The wide, casual leg? The sense that they're making a statement?

Clara wore the overalls again yesterday, over a pink top. She always insists on wearing leggings underneath, for reasons I still don't fully understand. And all day long, whenever I caught a glimpse of those denim bibs, I smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment