Sunday, December 31, 2023

Essay #32: Stats

Jeremy recently said a line that he'd heard somewhere about how middle age is just the process of setting arbitrary goals for yourself. All the real achieving is done, so why not complete a marathon!

To be fair, our world gives us a lot of things in which to track arbitrary goals. It's one of the reasons I know I don't need a Smart Watch. I'm pretty confident I get 10,000 steps a day anyway. But there are some stats I sort of like, regardless of how meaningful they are. So here goes:

Books read: 41

That's actually my highest total since having kids, a fact I realized just now. I've long kept track on an Excel spreadsheet, but I've started using Goodreads. I don't love the app, but it's relatively convenient.

Movies watched: 113

That seems like a crazy number, though considering I've replaced nearly all TV series watching (with the exception of The Great Pottery Throw Down) with movies (usually divided over one to two nights), it doesn't seem quite so bad. Letterboxd tracks this stat.

Miles hiked: 336

I realized how close I was to achieving 365 miles just a week ago--not enough time to make up the missing miles by today. Alas. Hiking 365 miles in a year is an arbitrary goal I hope to achieve next year. I use AllTrails to track my hikes.

Houseplants owned: 43

Thirty-four live at home, and another nine live at school. I walked around and literally counted my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment